Treaty of Trianon is one of the most problematic treaties of the Versailles peace system, rising different emotions on the both sides of the Danube during 100 years of being in force. Pride of one sown state that the treaty has helped to build on the one side, dissappointment and disillusion on the other. Rising international cooperation of Slovak, Hungarian and Polish legal scientists will aspire to change the stated status by revising the Treaty of Trianon excactly after 100 years of its signing in respect of it ́s significance to the region of Central Europe as their primary goal. Treaty of Trianon hasn’t been analyzed in detail and comprehensively examined by legal scientists yet, there for legal historians, romanists as well as positive lawyers will take part in there a search in order to examine the Treaty mostly in aspects of public law, not neglecting private law consequences as well. While the primary objective of there as earch remains scientific, the ambition of the participants also excedesin to achieving consensus in a mater deeply controversional over 100 years mostly between Slovak and Hungarian colleagues. The results of there search will not only beutilised in the pedagogical process, but also in the praxis of Historian society in Košice.
Primary goal of the projectis to research the causes and consequences of the Treaty of Trianon using legalhistorical-legal methods of research. Stated type of research of the Treaty of Trianon is new, the refore following partial researches will be required:
1. To complexly define, characterize and analyse common as well as different features, phenomenons and factors of the main legal institutions of international (diplomatic, consularlaw), created as early as in roman public law, in particular international law of war (ius fetiale) using the method of deduction – from general knowledge to creation of specific conclusions, examples of usage, application of the serules ad hoc. To identify, interpret and execute historical legal analysis of chosen conflicts, collisions of medieval Canon law and Roman law while excercising the primacy of papal or imperial power, as well as to establish accepted legal bases; research of the overseas departments problems and application of canon law on their inhabitants. Research of activities of the University of Salamanca (de Vittoria, Suarez, Soto), Oxford (Gentili) and the operation of natural law school (Grotius) – „difference in unity“ while creating fundamental principles and maxims of international law and applying them to the specific chosen European historical events. At last, the research of Vienna congress (1814-15) „stability in instability“ – its impact on creation of diplomatic and consular law in relation to subsequently created Versailles system of international treaties – with specific focus on the Treaty of Trianon.
2. Following the point 1 to characterise and analyse the impact of key events of 19th. century on creation and modification of the borders of Austria-Hungary, specifically in the view of border changes related to main international treaties concluded until WWI. Research of the Austro-Hungarian compromise in this phase of research will be exceedigly important, since this event, for a long period of time-influenced the relations between Hungarians and minorities that in the present-day constitute their own states. With in this contextit will be important to give attention to the changes of county borders, mainly the counties that later represented the so-called„buffer zone“. They ear of 1920 – eternal trauma, or Slovak-Hungarian compromise ? Indispensable part of there search will be searching for common positions with Hungarian colleagues participating in the project.The consequences of Treaty of Trianon, specifically in relation to the history of law and judicial system are not even in Hungary researched yet (e.g. in Slovakia – the matter of presence, extent, structure and consequences of criminal activity motivated by the effort to abolish the international consequences of theTreaty of Trianon and that,among other – in context of national legislation presented by the Act. n.o. 50/1923 on the protection of there public). With in this contex twe expect significantad vancement of knowledge as in Slovakia as in Hungary.
3. Another aim of this project in terms of suggested connectionsis the matter of taking over and forming specificas pects of state power – in the broadest context – in relation to Hungary as well as in wards. Taking-over/ forming the state autority in the territory of Slovakia after the foundation of inter-war republic was problematic. Partialaim will be to analyse in detail the formation of particular branches of public authority, with specific focus on the sout hern parts of the newly founded republic.
4. The next aim of the project will be to create ananalysis of Treaty of Trianon in the context of principles, maxims and standards of concluding international treaties and their significance in international law and in relation to building mutual relations between countries. The proces of concluding the Treaty of Trianon and its effects will be the object of detailed research. Comparative method will be used to research the relation of the Treaty of Trianon and other international treaties directly or indirectly related to it. The so-called Versailles system represents an example of a system of international treaties concluded after WWI between victors and the defeated. Researchers will also present a view point on the development of international commerce between particular countries whether on the side of victors or on the side of the defeated in WWI. Within the framework of solving the grant task, the mutualin fluence of the Treaty of Trianon and the right of self-determination will be researched, as well as the influence of the treaty on perception of the institution of citizenship, also in the light of EU law that introduced the institution of citizenship of the European union. Finally, the hypothesis that the Treaty of Trianon and its impact contributed to the creation of laws of national minorities will be verified.
5. Added value in solving the project will be the view point of a „third party“ – the research of the impact of the Treaty of Trianon on the course of events in Poland – its impact on the creation of state borders (in the context of the events leading to the creation of the state border with Poland), as well as in context of research of its influence on creation of the modern Polish law.
6. So the last shall be first...is written in the most published book in the world. Last but not least the aim of the project is the application of the data acquired by there search in praxis – organising lectures for the public, people interested in history, as well as for exparts, and organisation of workshops for students of law faculties, and all that during, as well as, after finishing the active solving phaseof the project.